Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sing, Sing a Song

I find I have been avoiding blogging this week, feeling overwhelmed.  Turns out I’m about 16 blogs behind.  So, I have made the command decision to cut class today to blog. This is the second class I have purposely cut in my life. (Yes, I am a nerd)

   Despite the fact that, logically, I know it's no big deal, I am wracked with guilt. I'm 34, shouldn't I be beyond that??

So, the reason I am 16 blogs behind or so is not only my incredibly fertile mind, but also because, over the 4 day weekend (brought to you by the national holiday Ascension) we decided to hit Vienna.  But, rather than jump straight into ‘learn all about Austria through my eyes’ mode, I am going to sing a bit about music…

I don’t think I have ever mentioned how important music is in our lives before.  When I was a kid, the TV was always on in the background.  When André was a kid, it was the silence or fighting.  For our kids – it is almost always music.  I love music, of course, being particularly fond of older stuff and musicals.  I particularly love to sing, and sing all the time, along with the radio, making up silly songs and singing lullabies every evening.  For André, however, music is a lifeline, and he needs it like other people need their morning coffee.  Because of this, our kids love music as well.   They got CD players from their Aunt Melodie before we came to Europe and they have used them, literally, to death.  They sing all the time, love to dance around, and just basically have music in their souls.

I had the kids pick a list of their favorite songs to burn from MP3 to CD for the trip – I want to blog their playlist since it shows some of their personality – and how eclectic their musical tastes are!

Callie’s picks:

La Danse des Canards (that’s the French version of the Chicken Dance), Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye), Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid), Can you Feel the Love Tonight (The Lion King), Carribbean Blue (Enya), I know an old lady who swallowed a fly (Peter, Paul and Mary), YMCA (The Village People)

Zander’s picks:

The Gummibear Song (GummiBear – comes in several languages, he did English and French), A La Queuleuleu (French Dance song), A Spoonful of Sugar (Julie Andrews), Ca M’enerve (Helmut Fritz), So This is Love (Cinderella), Tomorrow (Annie)

Griffin’s picks:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Judy Garland), Jungle Boogie (Kool & the Gang), Castle on a Cloud (Les Miserables), The Wonderful Thing about Tiggers (Winne the Pooh), Circle in the Sand (Belinda Carlisle), Cat’s in the Cradle (Harry Chapin), Puff the Magic Dragon (Peter Paul and Mary), The World We love (Raffi)

Of course, they love way more than this – but it’s a slice of musical life, right?  And, who knows?   Maybe someday they’ll have kids and look at this and burn the same CD for their own kids….  I hope I’m around for that day…

Oh, and btw, SING, Sing a song!

No comments:

Followers

Contributors


hit counter